Thanks to everyone who showed up at the cyclist town hall meeting on Tuesday. I thought the discussion was excellent, and it was enlightening to hear from Chris Chan and my two favourite city councillors Ben Henderson and Don Iveson.
What did we accomplish?
- We created political clout. I counted 110+ people in the room at one point. With all the time pressures of modern life, I consider that a very significant showing. No one spoke out against better bicycle infrastructure in the Whyte Avenue area (plus, it was advertised as a "cyclist" town hall meeting), so I feel safe declaring that over 100 cyclists showed their support. That will give our group more weight as we advocate for our ideas.
- We put bicycle infrastructure in the media. CBC, Global News and Metro News picked up the story.
- We heard from our elected representatives. The good councillors enlightened us to some political realities and answered many questions.
- We shared. Many good ideas and relevant points of view.
- We formed a working group. Dozens of people signed up to help work on the issue moving forward.
I will call another, smaller meeting for the people who signed up. I think that the next step is to formulate our "ask", and develop a specific strategy to get it.
Thanks so much to everyone who got involved!